Here is one of the first items I made for my Sewing With A Plan, the green gingham blouse. I actually finished this one a few weeks ago, and wore it right away when it was finished, which is a sure sign that it’s a winner.
The fabric is a nice 95/5 cotton/lycra shirting. It has a nice heavy drape, and plenty of stretch for comfort. I didn’t really use a pattern, just a front/back/sleeve from a vintage shirt pattern I had handy. I cheated and sewed the tucks and placket before I cut the shirt front because I didn’t want to think about how much to add to the width of the pattern piece for the tucks.
I really love the details on this shirt. I cut the placket, cuffs and collar on the bias. I used turquoise buttons, and sewed them on with orange thread. Hubby really thought I’d lost my mind when I told him that was my plan, but I love the way it looks. I’m super proud of the collar and collar stand, too. I used a piece of blue gingham ribbon as a tag at the center back of the neck.
I went back and forth about the sleeves on this shirt, but ended up deciding on a traditional cuff, accented with two buttons.