Here are some of the shirts I’ve been sewing for the girls this Fall. I’ve been hoarding this purple campan stripe since I bought it this spring, just waiting for long sleeve weather. The pattern is from the latest issue of Ottobre. I used knits for the butterfly applique, leaving the edges raw to roll a bit when they’re washed. The rhinestone antennae add a bit of bling, and I used a reverse coverstitch with woooly nylon for the hems (you can just see it on the sleeve in this picture). The two shirts are identical (no wonder people think my girls are twins) except for the tags; one has pink striped ribbon for a tag, the other has pink polka dot ribbon. Wouldn’t you know, the girls both wanted the one with the polka dot ribbon tag.
I love the stripe/dot combination on these tunics. I used another Ottobre pattern for these, the “strawberry tunic” from Otto 3/08. I lengthened the sleeves since I’m sewing for Fall. I also had to alter the back to have a yoke, since I was working with half-yard lengths of fabric. The girls had to flip a coin over these shirts, since they both wanted the pink/blue one. Me, I prefer the red/pink version as I had both coordinating solids for the yoke/binding.